The history of Aldenese wine-growing can be traced back over to several centuries ago, when along the streets of this small Trentino town walked men who transformed their love for the land into some of the best wines in the region. In those days not much was needed: a piece of land, passion and patience.
Cultivation techniques were refined during the Nineteenth century and the hills surrounding the town gradually began to be covered by pergola trellises, while on the valley floor, after the new course of the River Adige, the “cesure” marked the boundaries of those vines of particular quality which were flanked by new sandy and fertile terrains.
The landscape was therefore characterised, so too were the people, who have made wine-growing the area’s principal activity on which their future and lives are built. And it is precisely this dream which in 1910 led a group of producers to bet on Aldeno wine, by deciding to unite their efforts into the Cantina Sociale di Aldeno (Aldeno Wine Growers’ Cooperative), an example of the fervent cooperative movement developing in the Trentino. The deed of establishment with the list of members of the Cantina Sociale’s first board documents the intuition of the farmers, who were aware that many small producers could have created a single solid identity, able to attain a significant image and strength in the market.
A few years later a second cooperative was established: the Unione Vinicola Aldeno (Aldeno Wine-growing Union). The history of these two cooperatives will accompany the life of the Aldeno community and town for over half a century, until, in 1972 Cantina Sociale di Aldeno and Unione Vinicola Aldeno were fused into the Cantina Aldeno of today, which was established with the aim of keeping the traditional union of Aldeno and the grape alive.